You can do many things at home to help promote optimum oral health. Using the right brushing and flossing techniques can help ensure you're making the most of your home care, and our hygiene team can help with instruction.
Here are a few other ideas to help you:
- Remember to brush your teeth at least twice per day, and floss at least once.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables – they help neutralize the acids that cause tooth decay and cavities.
- Choose toothpaste that contains fluoride, and ask your hygienist if you need a fluoride rinse. Fluoride helps prevent cavities.
- Avoid sugary foods and beverages because it increases the amount of bacteria that grow in your mouth, causing more plaque and eventually cavities.
- Avoid tobacco – not only does it stain your teeth and cause gum disease, it increases your risk of developing oral cancer.
- Don't forget to brush your tongue. This will remove food debris and reduce the amount of plaque and bacteria in your mouth. As a bonus, it also promotes fresh breath.
- Don’t forget to schedule your cleaning and check-ups. It is recommended that you visit the dentist every six months, or twice per year.